mercoledì 17 ottobre 2007

My first two weeks of blogging

I must say that although I already knew what blogs are, I've never thought of creating my own blog. So I'm totally new to this experience. I know many people who have one, but I was maybe too lazy and skeptical to undertake this activity. I often wondered why people, who I don't personally know, should be interested in what I do.

Then I found out that blogs are like a diary, not as private as the one many of us keep locked in the drawer, but still a diary, which anyone can read. You may find many useful tips about almost any subject: from cooking recipes to policy or enviroment. You can communicate with those people you can't have a daily relationship with and it is a good way to learn new things.

So I must say that I really like this course!

At the University I've never experienced learning English this way before. Since I attended High school, learning a foreign- language meant sitting silently at my desk, listening carefully to what the teacher said and taking notes as fast as possible.

The Italian way of studying we know is very passive, so I'm very happy that for the first time we can do something that requires our active partecipation. I really believe this is the most effective way to learn and memorize new words and expressions.

Another important advantage is that this way I can get to know my classmates better: we communicate with each other, we exchange our ideas, we share our opinions, we give and get tips and prompt.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon!

5 commenti:

Eleonora ha detto...

Hi Elisa!

I have just read your comment and I noticed we almost wrote the same things...I also think that this course gives us the possibility to communicate quickly with each other using the blog; I am sure that by the end of the year our English will be better than before since we have the chance to practice a lot.. :-D
Unfortunately, as I said in my own post, blogs enable us to improve our writing skills but not our comprehension and fluency in spoken English (which is maybe the most important part in the learning process)...but I hope the classes on Monday (and Sarah of course!) will help us in this way.. :-)
This is my first experience with blogging as well (even though I have a personal page on “Myspace” and I use “msn” and “Skype” quite often) and I do agree with you in saying that this method seems to be pretty effective as it requires our active participation...it is true, here in Italy foreign languages are not taught properly (well, I am NOT saying that depends on the teachers :-D)..at school we usually do a lot of written exercises and in most cases speaking and understanding come second to grammar. As far as foreign languages are concerned, I really think we should take example from Scandinavian countries...everyone has an excellent knowledge of English up there!! When I talked about this issue with some Finnish friends of mine they told me they usually speak a lot during the classes..and they watch loads of movies and programs in English as well.
Finally, I was wondering about the fact that we are so much in the course..well, it would be easier to organize things if there were less of us, but I think the division into smaller groups gives us the possibility (as you said in your post) to work in team, which is something extremely important we should get used to if we want to find a good job.

Ok, see you soon!
Eleonora

elenas ha detto...

Hi Elisa,
how are you?

Well, what can I tell you? You wrote everything in your post and don't want to be redundant saying that I agree with you (I just sad it... :)).

What I would like to tell you is that I like your style in writing in English!!

see you tomorrow

elenas

Selena ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.
Selena ha detto...

Hi Elisa!

Every time I have a look at your blog I feel relaxed, it’s just like paradise:); the layout, the fonts and the colours you used, the photo you published really give you a sense of armony, peace and happiness. I like it very much!
As regards your thoughts about blogging as language learning method, I think we share the same opinion. I would just like to say that, personally, I don’t think it is so strange that people are interested in what other unknown people do. I believe people love comparing their thoughts, ideas, habits with those of other people, because they’re curious, because they admire other people’s skills or because they look for something which they might take advantage of. As you said, blogs are not, fortunately, only private diaries, but something that anyone can read and in which you can find many useful tips about everything. Do you imagine if they all were really private diaries? I think they would be more and more famous! Don’t you think?

That’s all for now, see you next week!

Have a nice Halloween evening!
Selena

elenas ha detto...

Hi Elisa,

what do you think about bloglines? I didn't know it before Sarah told us at lesson. It is a useful tool which helps you in organizing your personal little blogosphere. Using it one avoids to jump from one site/blog to another opening thousand of windows to see if there is something new to read or to know. You feel like a little boss having everything under your control...

See you,

bye
elenas